Cadcorp is a privately held British software development company focused on geographic information systems (GIS) and web mapping software, with a broad portfolio of products, a wide range of UK and international partners, and a diverse user base.
Technical Services Engineer – GIS and Spatial Databases
Location – Cadcorp office in Stevenage or working from home where appropriate
Employment – Permanent
Some of the requirements of the role may be subject to COVID-19 restrictions.
Cadcorp is currently seeking a Technical Services engineer with experience in spatial database management to join the team. A home-based employee will be required to work from the office on request, for example to attend team or customer meetings. The position will require travel to provide on premise customer consultancy and training.
If you have a background and interest in geospatial and database-based analysis (in particular spatial analysis), this is an exciting opportunity for you to apply your knowledge to improve the way in which GIS is used in different industry sectors including government, land and property, emergency services, and insurance. You will be part of a team of GIS technical experts reporting to the Technical Services Manager, where you will work with a wide range of technologies including Cadcorp’s desktop and web software, data modelling and analysis applications, spatial databases, related third-party software and cloud platforms.
The position involves:
- Receiving and replying to technical support enquiries from a range of customers and working through issues
- GIS consultancy. Working with a range of customers to deliver Cadcorp consultancy services including creating, maintaining and administering customer databases on-site and in the cloud
- Handling database administration tasks, including backups, monitoring, alerts and data recovery
- Creating documentation, carrying out training courses online or on-premise for customers, and providing database support internally and externally
- Building relationships. Working closely with customers to understand their requirements and provide services to meet their objectives
- Working as part of the technical services team, and other technical teams across the business to resolve complex enquiries
- A background in GIS or a related discipline to degree level, and relevant work experience
- A good knowledge of relational database management systems (for example Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL or Oracle)
- Experience in running and administering cloud databases using Microsoft Azure SQL, AWS RDS PostgreSQL or a similar service
- Good communication skills and experience working with customers face to face and on the phone
- Candidates should be self-assured, good communicators, enjoy working as a team and be self-motivated
Employee benefits include:
For further information, please send your cover letter and CV for the attention of Sharon Hailes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Direct applications only – no agencies please.
Cadcorp is not a licensed UK visa sponsor and so it is a requirement that applicants have the right to work in the UK.
Job applicants are not subject to discrimination on the grounds of sex, marital status, civil partnership status, transgender status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion or belief, race, disability or age.
Cadcorp Graduate Programme
*The intake for this year's programme has now ended. Registration for the next intake will open shortly.*
The Cadcorp graduate programme allows you to spend two years in a structured scheme experiencing key aspects of our business and developing your skills and knowledge.
During the programme you will work within various teams of specialists, learning and contributing at the same time. We will actively encourage you to use your creativity and ingenuity.
Areas of the business that are open to participants in the programme are :
- Software Testing (QA)
- Technical Support and Services
- Technical Pre Sales
- Application Development
As a result of your involvement in the programme, you will become an expert in the use and application of Cadcorp technology and gain considerable knowledge of the wider GIS market as well as the demands and requirements of our customers.
Towards the end of the programme we will begin discussing with you the next steps and the aspects of the business that particularly interest you.
Taking into account your own aspirations, skills and aptitude, along with business demands, we will aim to find the best possible position for you to continue your career with Cadcorp.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- A minimum 2:1 (achieved or predicted) in a relevant degree subject such as GIS, Geography, Software Engineering, Maths or IT. A master’s degree is not essential but may be helpful towards your application
- An understanding of GIS software
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work with and within teams from various departments
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- An inquiring mind and aptitude for learning within a range of different subject areas